I suppose I should preface this by saying that “mums” is a very broad term because not all mums will do make up in the same way – some will want to have 45mins to do a full face and that’s amaze, go them… others won’t bother at all and that’s totally cool too.
I guess what I’m saying is, don’t @ me if you don’t think this applies to you – we all do things differently and when I say “make up for mums” I’m writing this from the perspective of someone who, frankly, can’t be arsed to get up early to do hair or make up but also likes to wear a little something.
These are the make up for mums essentials that I wear every day, more or less, and they just make me feel a little bit more ready for the day (not unlike a coffee, though honestly not as essential…)
- Foundations – I have two that I completely crush on and I have to say that one will always be my favourite and that is Estee Lauder Double Wear. Double wear is just, well it’s just brilliant. It covers everything, never slips, doesn’t feel uncomfortable or become overly oily when your skin is oily – it’s just flawless. I will say that it is a very heavy duty foundation, so if you’re using it day in and day out like I do, you really can end up with skin that is crying out for a bit of breathing space, which is when I use my Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue “tinted hydrating gel cream” – which loosely translates as tinted moisturiser. It’s just such a light wear and really lovely on your skin, perfect for those days you just want to chill out.
- Blushers – I’m actually a BIG fan of Revolution cosmetics, they are ridonkulously cheap but really decent in quality. I use a palette that has been going forever, but they do so many different ones, all different shades and in rather fun style, so I would highly recommend them. As for highlighters, I’m also a big fan of their unicorn heart highlight, it can be used as eyeshadow (separate the colours) or highlighter and frankly for £5 I think it’s a winner. I really can’t fault them.
- Lipstick – Now I think if you follow me on Instagram you will already know that I am the BIGGEST fan of Maybelline Super stay matte lip ink – I can’t get enough of it. I have around 15-20 shades now and I’m constantly wanting to add to the collection. I think this is the ultimate mum trick because lords knows we carry everything around with us so not having to worry about carrying a lippy is super helpful. It doesn’t dry my lips out or make them sore, which is what I find with a lot of dry on lipsticks. It’s also not tacky on my lips so I feel like I can drink and smooch my kids on the head without leaving embarrassing mum marks. Some shades are actually tackier than others so it’s worth noting if you try one and it is a little more lipstick like, it might just be that shade. The other thing I LOVE is Maybelline Baby lips balm, which I use between using the super stay – this might be ther reason my lips never get sore.
- Mascara – Another cheaper one here from Barry M. My current fave is Barry M Lash Vegas 2, it surpasses all the others I’ve tried, including Benefit which used to be my ultimate.
- Eyebrows – I am really old fashioned with my eyebrows, I’ve tried all sorts of different pencils and pastes but it comes down to powder and a brush for me. I use WunderBrow 2 eyebrow brush to draw in my lashes and frankly I don’t think that it matters what powder I use (though I use an Estee Lauder set) because it’s all in the brush.
And that’s it – those are the things I wear every day and I think I usually look slightly different because of lipstick colour, but honestly my make up is so simple and done in around 3 mins ha! I do get asked quite often what I use to remove my make up and the answer is Liz Earle cleanser with a hot face flannel. I also use Elemis cleansers but switch between them!
H 🙂 x