We often get comments about our decision to take the kids to Disney World at such a young age. Usually along the lines of “Oh but they won’t remember it!” Or “but what’s the point, they’re too young”. I have to say it’s something I questioned myself – Edith isn’t quite 2, in fact she’s just passed 18months so she really won’t have much recollection of this holiday, our holiday of a life time, if any at all.
The truth is, there is a time limit of the magic of childhood and I can help that feel it is running out more and more each day for Reuben. Yeah, Disney World is always going to be a magical place and it’s always going to be amazing not matter what your age, but to really, truly believe in the magic I think you have to be little.
DisneyWorld wasn’t the only thing we considered, we shopped around and looked at various options. I pretty much lived in Tots to Travel for the better part of 2 weeks while I was pregnant. We’re talking water park extravaganza style hotels in Europe, the coolest beach destinations in the Caribbean, crusies designed just for kids… The list of options was endless but ultimately it always came back to Disney.
As a child it was a dream of mine to visit DisneyWorld with my dad. After my parents split my mum often promised to take me but I would always reply “No! Daddy is taking me, he’s promised!” And that was that. I didn’t really have a very good relationship with my father after my parent’s divorce, and sadly Disney World was just one more let down. So I never went.
Now as an adult it is still something I dream of, and every day it becomes more so with watching my children grow and fall for the Disney magic more and more. Disney World was never just a holiday to me, it was an unfulfilled childhood dream that is being brought to fruition.
I’ve been thinking about what I would like to bring home from Disney World and Universal studios, what souvenirs I would like to remember these special moments, and there are so many!! Disney souvenirs are slightly outnumbered by Universal and SeaWorld souvenirs, for me Disney holds more of a lure for Christmas present shopping and trying food. Lots of food.
So what do I want to bring home? Please jump in with your suggestions too!
- A Christmas Bauble – cliche, yes. Give a fuck? Not at all. It is a quintessential part of the Disney experience I think, and it’s something I really want to have with us, and pass down to my kids.
- Micky/Minnie ears – come on now, I don’t care if you’re 5 or 500, these are probably going to be my first purchase. Yeah they are.
- Unique toys – a few years ago we bought a Disney wooden train set from EBay that was a Disneyland Paris special. Each resort, each park and each shop apparently has stuff that you simply can’t buy anywhere else in the world. We’re planning on allowing ourselves the indulgence of Christmas shopping… And since its the Halloween period at Disney, we may well have to come back with something for that holiday too!
- Food – unfortunately with customs restrictions, il be limited to what I can bring back, but I will be trying EVERYTHING while I’m there, and then bringing back whatever I can! Yum!
- Pins – I heard about his craze while trawling Pinterest for ideas for what to do in Disney, but I’ve already bought the boys some cheap collectable pins and they can exchange them with “cast members” as they go around the park. It would be sweet to buy a really unusual or unique one for each of them… Or maybe even to swap one!
- Tsum tsums – Edith (total lie, it’s all me) is obsessed with Tsum tsums. They are small enough for her hands and easy for her to snuggle. We’ll be buying her some of the unique ones for sure!
- A mug – I love Disney mugs, who doesn’t? So, in terribly middle aged fashion, this has made my wish list. I want a mug. For coffee. Ha.
- Transformers memorabilia – the boys (including daddy) are obsessed. Totally obsessed. I wanted to see if we could find some unique memorabilia and unique toys for them to bring home.
- Harry Potter loot – this list could drag on forever: all the food, all the drink, a wand, a jumper… So much. So so much.
- Superhero loot! – the boys are huge super hero fans, so I am super excited to get them some awesome gifts for Christmas!
- Unique toys again – if there is only one place to get it, you better get it. For reals.
What else should I add to my list?